Mountain Leader Training Courses
Mountain Leader 1
The core skills covered in this two day Mountain Leader training course are:
Macro & micro navigation, roped & unroped steep ground work, night navigation. During training we also discuss party management, hazard assessment, river crossings, leadership. Further topics include, mountain weather, group care, incident and accident procedure and also mountain rescue.
Mountain Leader 2
The core skills covered in the three-day course are:
Macro & micro navigation, roped & unroped steep groundwork, night navigation. Also, party management, risk assessment, expedition & camp craft planning, access & conservation / leave no trace.
To Make a Booking:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 00 353 87 66 5 77 90
- Phone: 00 353 74 93 75001
Mountain Leader Training Week
The Core Skills covered in our 5 day course, are as seen above.
Registering for the Mountain Leader Award
•You must be at least 20 years old
•Be a current member of Mountaineering Ireland
•Have passed their Mountain Skills Assessment
•Hold a current first aid qualification relevant to the mountain environment
•Logged at least 20 quality hillwalking days in suitable terrain
Pre ML Assessment Refresher Days
I can run refresher days with you covering any of the skill areas of the assessment you feel need to be refreshed. Areas that cause the most concern and result in unfavorable assessment outcomes are listed below.
The core ML syllabus skills covered are: Macro & micro navigation, night navigation.
Steep Ground Training
The core ML syllabus skills covered are: Roped & unroped steep groundwork.
For pricing please fill out the contact form below.
Mountain Leader Training
• Organise a two-day hillwalking trip for a group in consultation with an ML holder
• Gain experience progressively of leading parties over varied routes in Ireland, which must include at least 6 days leadership experience
• Spend at least 6 days assisting one or more MLs (or higher award holders), 2 days of which must be on BOS-recognised courses such as Mountain Skills.
*Camp in two different non-roadside locations (link to the definition of non-roadside location) in the hills in winter
Mountain Leader Assessments
ML Assessment takes places over 3 days, with a minimum of 1-night camping.